Hello LS Team,
I would like to request that more video formats and aspect ratios are supported by the lens previews. Example:
1. I push a lens to my device and record my own preview
2. I save said video
3. I try to use said video as a preview, but it is not accepted because Snapchat records videos in the aspect ratio of the device (my iOS device does not have a 9:16 aspect ratio) so the aspect ratio is wrong.
4. I use my iOS device to crop the video to 9:16
5. I try to use cropped video as a preview, but this time it is not accepted because my device converted it to mov rather than keeping it in its original mp4 form.
6. Use an online converter/video software/ffmpeg to convert back to mp4. Or I change my phone settings to use mp4.
Desired behavior: If I record a preview video for my lens on my device, the video should be accepted as is straight from Snapchat.
Solutions: If my device is not 9:16, then maybe on Snap's backend the video can be cropped down to that aspect ratio. A less optimal solution would be to accept mov files for the preview, although this requires an extra step on the user's end for the cropping.
For me personally this isn't a big deal handling the cropping and file conversions, but it becomes a headache for clients whose lenses can't use the built-in preview videos.